Friday, March 18, 2016

Our home adds to the quality of life.

In 2003 Diane Lane stared in a movie called Under the Tuscan Sun. As she rebuilds her life as she remodels a home in an ideal location. The movie takes on interest with many offbeat characters. Personally, I think we are all off beat and that is the fun of it.
Barb and I made our home in a house built in the early 1880's. It was one of three homes a father built for his daughters. My kitchen and two rooms added upstairs came later. The original toilet was out back. The water was a pump in the back yard. A fire stove was between our dining room and front room. There was a front porch and cellar. Later dormers were added, a kitchen and bathroom. Indoor plumbing we take it for granted. 
How many people added to the original home? We each leave a trace of ourselves. Maybe others will improve the home for themselves in the future. 
We bought the home in 1989. Friends from Michigan came and sided the home. My dad and I took on many projects and now Barb and I are managing some of the remaining touches we wanted to do. New windows, new design, rip up carpet and discover wood floors. We have one or two projects to go just to improve our living. I definitely think it is all part of better state of health.
New ideas with old, it's a mystery. 
I think of all the characters who helped us. Grandkids, kids, friends, people looking for work, our dads both of them were great. A home that is similar to homes of my grandparents in the depression, yet improvements in energy and design. Big enough when I need it and small enough to live. 
Feeling good in a home is there a price tag? I don't have rolling hills or seaside, but today was a good day. Keep walking

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would appreciate your comments and imput. I would like to hear from you. Contact me a bbbbsa@sbcglobal.net