Friday, October 16, 2015

Playing the odds

My Cubbies are in the playoffs, and I'm full of baseball stats. Playing the percentages can make a difference between winning and losing. But always a problem a good pitch can be hit and a bad Pitch can be missed. On any given day a weak player can make the play of the game and a very good player can boot the ball. Baseball can drive you nuts you think about it.
It is the same way with health, we play the percentages. In an article appearing in AARP this month pointed out that if we walk 30 minutes a day five days a week we can increase our chances of dying suddenly by 30%. The article reported that if you walk 15 minutes a day you have the benefit I'm reducing sudden death by 22%. If you factor in good sleep, healthy food, and good weight you may be able to even increase those odds. What drives us nuts is doing all right things doesn't guarantee that you won't have a sudden death. 
What does tip the scales for me about a good lifestyle choices is the one guarantee that we will feel better walking 15 to 30 minutes a day then if we don't. Walking, biking, Swimming are all activities that can improve the quality of our life. I am putting in some new windows in my home that will improve the quality of my experience with all the weather experiences we have here in Midwest. Maybe someday it'll make up the costs with savings from energy. Or maybe it will help with resale value. But I know it will help feel warmer this winter. 
I hope the numbers encourage you to keep on walking. Life is like baseball we like to improve our odds to live better and maybe just a little longer. 

I like seeing the Cubs playing better baseball, win or lose they've been fun this season. I know Madden will play by the numbers and they got a good shot. I will try to enjoy each game and we'll see what happens. I think the same way when we take a walk, doing what's good for us and enjoying each day, being thankful to the Lord for each breath we take and moment to enjoy. Keep walking and Go Cubs!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would appreciate your comments and imput. I would like to hear from you. Contact me a bbbbsa@sbcglobal.net